Saturday, July 3, 2010

How THE GIVER relates to me??

This novel is about Jonas's 'perfect world'. Everything in his world is under control. For example, his Assignment was chosen by the Elders, the age when he could do certain things (riding the bicycle, wearing jackets with buttons) and more. He does not have the choice.

After reading the novel, I think I am really blissful. I learnt to cherish the things I have now, and the world I am living in now. I can make my own choices and decide what I want to be when I grow up. I do not have to be restricted to doing minor things because of my age, like riding a bike. I have the freedom to do what I want most of the time. This is already very much better than Jonas's world.

There are no colours in Jonas's world. Only the Giver, Jonas and Gabriel are different from the rest of the community. They can see colours, or in the scientific term, having the 'capacity to see beyond'. Imagine everything around you being colourless. Everything would be like the same, and it would be so dull. To me, colours make a person cheerful. Colours make a place beautiful. I do not understand why the Elders do not allow people to see colours...it is a wonderful thing for us to be able to see colours.

Most importantly, I think the Giver thought me to be glad that I have feelings.

In Jonas's world, everyone does not experience real feelings. When someone broke the play area rules, Lily said that she was angry. However, it was not anger that Lily had felt. It was just impatience and exasperation, as mentioned by Jonas. Being in a world without feelings is a sad thing. A person would not feel happy, sad, angry, scared, worried and other sorts of feelings. His life would be dull and everyday is just the same. He would not love someone truly or be loved truly.

I think I am really fortunate. I do not have to stay in a world without feelings and emotions. When good things happen to me, I feel happy; when bad things happen to me, I feel sad...and so much more different feelings. Reading the novel made me think that even feeling sad is better than feeling nothing.

The Giver really made me learn to cherish everything that I have now. I should not take them for granted. I realised I am very lucky, not having to stay in a world, like Jonas's one. Even though the Elders controlled the people so that they would not make wrong choices and feel pain, I would not want to be in a world with no feelings and colours...

No comments:

Post a Comment